Appellate Advocacy That Rises to The Challenge
When litigation moves beyond a trial courtroom to an appellate one, different standards and rules apply, different perspectives and approaches are needed, and different skills and qualities distinguish the top appellate lawyers from the best trial lawyers. With more than ten years of successful and diverse experience at the appellate level, Jana Rine provides clients across the country with representation that rises to the unique challenges of appellate law.
Focused, Tireless, Straightforward
Working closely with individuals, businesses, and referring attorneys, Jana gives her clients straightforward and practical counsel and crafts appellate law strategies best suited to accomplishing her clients’ objectives. She takes pride in her ability to focus appellate judges on the issues and arguments most likely to lead to a positive result.
Jana compliments her thorough and clear-eyed analysis of the record on appeal with comprehensive, original research and a tireless work ethic. Her appellate advocacy is enhanced by her extensive background litigating significant constitutional issues, advancing her clients’ interests before administrative and regulatory bodies, and handling complex business and commercial disputes.
The Experience Required for Success in Appellate Law
Powerful written submissions and deft oral arguments; ready anticipation of pointed questions from the bench coupled with the ability to nimbly respond to opposing assertions – these vital attributes define Jana’s appellate work. These are qualities which can only be acquired through experience. Jana’s work as an appellate attorney involves a wide range of subjects and issues.
Jana represents litigants and works with referring lawyers on every aspect of an appeal, including:
- Motions for post-trial relief
- Motions for stay of enforcement
- Interlocutory appeals
- Appellate briefs
- Petitions for writ of certiorari
- Amicus curiae briefs
- Oral argument
- Extraordinary writs
Diligently preserving error in the trial court and laying a solid foundation of evidence that will withstand appellate scrutiny can be critical to a successful appeal.
That is why Jana also provides invaluable insights and assistance before a case reaches the appellate level, including acting as a consultant to trial counsel to develop, define, and preserve issues on appeal. Jana understands the intricacies and challenges of trying cases. She reviews a record with an eye toward appeal development and does not look back. It is a rare case that cannot be turned around.
A National Appellate Litigation Firm with a Long Record of Success
Jana’s appellate law practice is nationwide in scope. As a federal appeals attorney, she represents clients in the Supreme Court of the United States and U.S. Courts of Appeal from coast to coast. Jana has appeared before higher courts in several states as well, securing favorable results against large corporations, overreaching governmental bodies, and other adversaries.
Representative appellate cases in which Jana has secured positive outcomes include:
- Obtaining a reversal on appeal of the denial of a temporary restraining order against the Illinois Department of Labor. The facial challenge to the constitutionality of the Employee Classification Act facilitated the amendment to the statute and spared Jana’s client from what would have been a $1.6 million fine.
- Winning an appeal which reversed a dismissal of a breach of contract/ consumer fraud lawsuit, ultimately resulting in payment of damages to her client.
- Jana appealed to the Seventh Circuit the federal denial of a motion to dismiss to allow State court construction of its previously-entered order which arguably would have governed the issue before the federal tribunal. The dispute involved an asset freeze pending enforcement of a multi-million dollar judgment. Jana raised defenses that questioned her client’s liability. The defendants dismissed their case while the appeal was pending.d.
From state appellate and supreme courts, to federal appeals courts, and all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States, Jana Rine provides clients with the confidence and capability to go the distance.